Lemon Ginger Tea is a sweet, spicy, and warm refreshing detox drink loaded with a lot of health benefits. This tea is traditionally made with fresh ginger root and lemon that is steeped in hot boiling water and then served with honey for sweetness. The infusion of sour, warm, sweet, and tartness of the ingredients makes this drink healthy and comforting. This lemon ginger root tea is healthy, caffeine-free, and is served hot or cold in the morning for breakfast or before bed that aids good sleep.
What is Lemon Ginger Tea?
Ginger lemon tea is a zesty, sweet, and comforting beverage prepared with fresh ginger and lemon. Usually, both the ingredients are steeped in hot boiling water for a few minutes and then strained and served along with honey. You could also make detox ginger lemon tea without honey or any other sweetener. The recipe I have shared here is super simple and all we need is under 15 minutes to make this comforting tea.
This tea is one of the popular herbal drinks in Indian and Chinese Cuisine. You could find wide varieties of herbal tea in the Asian continent and this is one among them. This lemon ginger root tea is not only easy to make but also has a lot of health benefits. It is also believed to have healing properties and is used as a folk remedy for thousands of years to treat health-related problems.
Even though there are many tea brands in the market, making your tea with fresh ingredients gives a divine taste and flavor. Plus, we are not using tea leaves to make this tea, hence it is caffeine-free.
The ingredients you will need to make this tea are basic that should be easily available in food markets around.
- Ginger Root - It is one of the delicious and healthiest spices in the world. It helps in indigestion, morning sickness, weight loss, and much more.
- Lemon - Fresh yellow-colored fruit that is rich in vitamin c, and fiber. You can either use fresh cut lemon or lemon juice to make this drink
- Honey - Honey is considered one of the folk remedies in treating cold, cough, and many health-related issues that is specific to raw honey. The honey used here is not raw and is added as a sweetening agent to cut down the bitterness from ginger. You could also use brown sugar, maple syrup, and other sweeteners of your choice.
How to make Lemon Ginger Tea?
The recipe shared here is a simple and fresh lemon ginger tea and yields 4 cups. So let's see how to prepare this tea easily at home with step-by-step instructions.
First to make this tea, let us start chopping the ginger and lemon into desired shapes. And reserve it for later use
Now in a saucepan, bring the water to boil for at least 5 minutes. Switch off the heat and add the ginger and lemon to the water. Close the pan with a lid and allow it to steep for 5 to 10 minutes.
Finally, strain the tea and mix honey, and serve warm. You could also cool down completely and serve it with some ice cubes to enjoy this tea cold.
Lemon Ginger Tea benefits
Lemon ginger tea is one of the favorite drinks in our home. It helps us to detox our body and also provides a good sleep when taken before bed. And we usually drink it when we have a cold, cough, and fever. It is a pretty sweet and spicy tea that keeps your body warm when you are down with a cold.
It is not only good for cold but also aids in digestion and bloating difficulties. So I always make sure to drink a cup of this tea after having a heavy festive meal. It helps me to digest the food easily without causing any stomach difficulties or belching.
The combination of ginger and lemon has a lot of interesting health benefits. The medicinal and healing properties of both ingredients help in relieving nausea, weight loss, reducing the risk of heart, liver diseases, and a lot more health benefits that we never knew.
Lemon Ginger Tea before bed
Having a sound sleep is one of the important things to make you gear up for the next day. But in this busy world, most of us often face difficulty in sleeping. Having a cup of ginger lemon tea before bed helps to boost immunity, controls bloating after heavy food, and relieves stomach pain that makes you awake at the night. It also helps to relax the body which in return aids a night of good sleep.
This simple ginger root tea is a refreshing drink that can be easily customizable into different variations.
Mint - You can also add fresh mint leaves to this tea to make it even more aromatic and flavorful
Orange - You could also use orange instead of lemon which gives a different zesty flavor and taste to the tea.
You could also enjoy this tea without honey or it can be replaced with brown sugar, maple syrup, or other sweeteners. I have used chopped lemon and ginger pieces to make this tea but you can also use grated/crushed ginger root and lemon juice to achieve the similar result
This ginger root tea stays good in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. You could enjoy it as it is chill or reheat if you want to enjoy a hot cup of this refreshing drink.
This Ginger root lemon tea with honey is a perfectly soothing and comforting drink, especially during the winter season. You can serve this tea hot or cold in the morning to start your day fresh or before bed to have a calm and tight sleep.
- Ginger Tea
- Turmeric Tea
- Sweet Tea
- Iced Tea
- Barley Tea
- Masala Chai (Tea)
- Boba Milk Tea (Bubble Tea)
- Taro Milk Tea (Taro Bubble Tea)
- Strawberry Milk Bubble Tea
More Tea Lattes:
More Healthy Drinks
- Ginger Shots
- Turmeric Shots
- Golden Milk (Turmeric Milk)
- Hibiscus Tea (Agua De Jamaica)
- Celery Juice
- Cucumber Juice
Lemon Ginger Tea video
I have also shared a detailed video for ginger lemon tea that I hope will help you to make a healthy drink easily at home. For a quick reference, you could also see this recipe in story format.
Lemon Ginger Tea
- 4 cups Water
- 1 piece Ginger, 4-5 cm long
- 1 Lemon, medium size
- 2 tsp Honey
To make Lemon Ginger Tea
- Take one medium-size lemon and cut it into circular pieces
- Cut 4-5 cm long ginger root into pieces and reserve it for later use
- In a pan with medium heat, pour water and bring to boil
- Switch off the heat and add lemon, and ginger pieces
- Close the pan with the lid and allow it to steep for 5 minutes
- After 5 minutes, open the lid and strain the tea in a cup or glass
- Serve this Ginger Lemon tea with honey or any preferred sweetener of your choice
- I have used chopped lemon and ginger pieces to make this tea but you can also use grated/crushed ginger root and lemon juice to achieve the similar result
- Steeping the lemon and ginger in hot water for at least 5 to 10 minutes gives a rich flavor and taste to the tea
- I have used honey to sweeten the tea but you can also use brown sugar, maple syrup, or any other preferred sweetener
- This ginger honey lemon tea is considered a folk/home remedy for cold, cough, and fever and it can be served either hot or cold in the morning or before bed. Source: WebMD
Lemon ginger tea is a sweet and spicy refreshing drink that can be consumed either hot or cold. It is usually made with fresh ginger and lemon that is steeped in hot boiling water. it is then served as it is or with a few tsp of honey stirred in. It can be enjoyed any time of the day and has a lot of health benefits.
Yes, it is good for health and it helps in overcoming nausea, stomach bloating, and much more. Even though it has a lot of health benefits it is always best to consult an expert to understand the pros and cons if you want to consume it in your everyday diet.
Yes, you can use ginger root alone to enjoy this tea. But adding lemon gives a nice sour taste and flavor to the drink.
You can store this tea in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat it if you want to enjoy hot or serve chill as it is if you want a crisp cold drink.
I hope you enjoyed the recipe that I have shared here and I would love to hear from you on how it turned out for you. Please let me know.
If you have any other questions, feel free to post them in the comment section below and I will try to get back to you as soon as possible.